Saturday, August 1, 2009

Day 4 in the experiment

The 40-Day Vegan is doing well so far. A few ups and downs.

One "up" is I found out that Jimmy Johns has an awesome veggie sandwich. If you order it without the cheese and mayo it's completely vegan. Yay! (However, if you order the Skinny Chips...they are tasty, but make sure you read the nutrition information including the serving size. There are TWO servings in the bag, not ONE. I found out that one a little too late.) Also, most of the Great Harvest and Peoria Bread Company breads do not have any egg or milk products in them. A "down" is that I found out, too late, that the Great Harvest Savannah Bars are made with eggs. Oops! So, I won't make that mistake again. And, I had THOUGHT that the organic toaster pastries I buy for Alyssa were safe. But, looking closer at the ingredients, I've noticed whey protein made from milk. Ugg! So, goodbye to those treats! Another "down", the Almond Drink is getting a little old. I'm going to try to find some coconut milk today.

I'm finding that as long as I have plenty of nuts, raisins, dried cranberries, and veggies and hummus to snack on...I'm fine. Preparation seems to be the key; making sure I don't go anywhere without snacks on hand...especially work! Yesterday I was even able to get Chinese with Jeremy. I just stuck with the sautéed broccoli and steamed rice. I also ordered spring rolls. I asked the lady at the counter if they are egg, meat, and milk free, and she said yes. Jeremy wondered about the wraps, though. I honestly don't know. So, if you do, please let me know!

No comments: