Monday, August 24, 2009

Um, Honey, you could use a mint!

So, it's day 27 in my 40-day Vegan Journey and things are good. I've had a few occasions where I've eaten something I thought for certain was vegan only to find out( too late) that it has some milk derivative in it. Argh! And, I'll admit, a couple of times I've added creamer to my coffee when nothing else was available. Not cow's milk or half and half, but it definitely had some form of milk in it in some small part. GUILTY!

But, for the most part, it's been pretty easy. I'm actually enjoying the foods I'm eating. That's something that's kind of surprised me. I thought for sure it would be torture to watch someone eat a turkey sandwich or something sweet like ice cream. But, for most things I've been able to find a replacement like a vegan burrito or a dark chocolate bar, etc. Honestly, the journey has been a lot less stressful than I'd imagined it would be.

HOWEVER...there has been one interesting development in the past 27 days. Apparently my breath has taken on a foul odor. Most likely it's due to the fact that I'm eating a lot more foods (like hummus which is yummus) that contain lots of garlic. The key to the vegan diet is seasoning...making the veggies, beans, and whole grains as tasty as you can. So, garlic and other natural taste enhancers have made their way into my diet on almost a daily basis. I was unaware of the lasting ill effect though until Jeremy brought it up ever so gently. I believe his exact words were "what's the deal with your breath lately?" :)

So, let me apologize in advance if we have a chance to talk face to face before I've had a chance to grab a mint!

2 comments:

vballsetter said...

Jill,
You probably already know this, but the bad breath is a symptom of the detoxification your body is going through. It means your vegan diet is working!!!
Good job. Keep it up.
Anita

Jill Tracey said...

Aaaah, that's a good point! Thanks, Anita!!!