Thursday, September 17, 2009

Deny Myself?

So this morning I was driving past a church with a big sign out front that said, "Deny thyself, take up your cross, and follow me" ~ Jesus. And, it made me think a bit. First of all, I wondered how many people driving by this sign have no idea what it means? Is it making a difference in anyone's life? I'm not so sure. But, then, I had to stop being the cynical me I tend to be about things like this and ask myself if I really know what it means. I know the context: In the 8th Chapter of Mark in the New Testament Jesus has just finished describing to His followers all the pain and suffering He's going to endure on behalf of all mankind. Then Peter says, (my paraphrase) "Come on Jesus...You don't have to go through all that! You're scaring everybody!" And Jesus says something like "You don't know anything about God's plan. He's going to offer Hope and Eternal Life but it's going to come at an unbelievable cost to Me. And, watch out, there's a big cost coming for you, too, if you want to follow in My footsteps!"

But, I still kind of struggle with applying these words to my life. DENY MYSELF?! Who really denies themselves these days...especially in this country? I love America but, come on, we have so much. Even while I was conducting my 40 Day Vegan experiment, I never went hungry. There are so many options available that you could be completely satisfied at all times even without partaking of meat or dairy products. Basically, we're bombarded by abundance!

So, why deny? Jesus of course goes on to explain that if we pursue our selfish desires and all that the world offers, we'll eventually lose our souls in the process. But, I also think it's about practicing. We practice denying ourselves so that we can follow Him! Follow Him as He offers eternal life in heaven. Follow Him as He puts others first. As He hands over EVERYTHING for the sake of the very people who had turned against Him. Follow Him as He serves. So, practicing the denial of myself...of my desires and earthly needs...will get me in the habit of being willing to put others ahead of myself...just like Him.

Now the questions remains...HOW do I deny myself. I think you know where this is headed. What do I struggle with? I wish it were a taste for fine fashion, interior design, or even too much exercise. But, no, my passion, my indulgence, is FOOD! So, this is day ONE of a 10-day denial. I'm going to eat only fruits and vegetables - kind of what's called a "Daniel Fast" except that in the Bible Daniel only ate vegetables. I feel the need to truly deny, to go without, to learn to lean on Jesus a whole lot more than I do now. And, hopefully, in the process I'll learn to more easily put my own desires aside and really serve others in His love and on His behalf.

Wanna join me? All the cool kids are doing it. ;) Please let me know if you'll take this challenge with me and how it affects your daily walk with our God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How'd the fast go!?

Jill Tracey said...

Let's just say I was much better with the 40 Day Vegan experiment than the 10 fruits and veggies only - but I did pretty well. It was good to practice the denying myself thing, too!